Home Forums General Welcome to the Spark E-Hub Forum.

You are responsible for the content you post.

This includes information, text, photos, messages etc. If you didn’t create the content that you post, it is your responsibility to ensure you have the necessary consents.

Respect other users.

Any abusive, offensive or inflammatory posts or any comments which personally attack any individual will not be tolerated and will be removed.

Do not post unauthorised personal information (names, address, phone number, email etc.).

Make sure you respect the confidentiality of others and do not disclose any non-public information or personal information without consent.

Inappropriate material

Posts or other material which is deemed inappropriate by the Spark project partners will be deleted when discovered.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Welcome to the Spark E-Hub Forum. Please observe the forum’s code of conduct and happy posting!

Ana Fajardo
    Participant

Hi

I have found this and I thought it could be useful.
    http://www.the-sse.org/resources/starting/what-funding-is-available-for-social-entrepreneurs/
    This link from the School for Social Entrepreneurs provides a useful snap shot of what I think are useful sources of finance is available covering both grants and funding.

Do you favour grants, loans, equity? What do you think can be the most successful source of funding for social enterprises?

davidhinton
    Participant

We used to believe here (my company) that grants were great and loans not so much. Since taking on loans and evolving our business model we have a different view. Now we have a time and a space for both by being clear about the return we are getting on the investment.

Ideally we look for both social return and financial return. For example; we would usually apply for a grant where the social return is high but there is little or no financial return for the activity. Whereas we would be unlikely to consider a loan without a clear financial return on the activity, neither I expect would the investor!

The list produced by SSE is good…

GRANTS
    A lot of the grant funding opportunities are ring-fenced for charity structures only which reduces the scope for CICs like us. Grants with a good fit to what we do are well worth the application. Bending stuff to fit a particular fund (because it’s so tempting to) almost always ended badly for us!

LOANS
    The market for loans to SEs is growing year by year here in the UK. Still heavily subsidised and that is one reason why the growth is slow. Access to mainstream lending is still a massive problem for most SE’s so the growth of this market is so key. The most recent growth has been towards the smaller end investments which relies on a more connected and localised ecosystem of SE support than is available in most places. Hopefully by tackling both ends of the blockages we can build a stronger Social Investment market in the UK for the better of everyone.

As for equity or debt…. We are limited by our legal structure.

Claire Hunt
    Participant

The list looks helpful and good to see the other resources on SSE site but we find the funding alerts sent weekly by The West Sussex 4 Social Enterprise team extremely useful as they have done the work for us and found grants currently available and specifically for social enterprises rather than charities.

We are not in a position to consider loans because as David says there needs to be a clear financial return and the nature of our CIC is such that it is mainly social return (we do have trading income but not enough at present to risk loans).

davidhinton
    Participant

I like the W Sussex one too Claire. Essex have a similar one hosted by Idox which we use. E Sussex have a monthly pdf funding update that we subscribe to too.

Essex Funding news

East Sussex Funding news

West Sussex Funding news

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.